Living in Ibiza

Relocating to Ibiza

Photo: Shutterstock

Relocation to any country is a big decision that requires a lot of organisation – will you sell the majority of your things in your native country and buy new ones when you get there? Or will you be taking your stuff with you using the services of a relocation company? If you are living in an EU country – legally speaking the move should be pretty simple – if you are living outside the EU, be aware that each country has different rules for relocating to Spain, so best to check in with your embassy about what the procedures entail.


Vueling is currently the only airline that allows you to fly with your pet into Ibiza, however, catching the ferry could be another option – think about the temperament of your pet and which option would be less likely to stress them out. Ensure that your pet has all of its paperwork in order – with a pet passport and up-to-date vaccinations it should be pretty easy to transfer your pets from another EU member country. The UK and Ireland can be slightly more difficult with more complicated paperwork involved – for instance ‘The European Pet Passport’ is the document needed for dogs, cats, and ferrets (basically domestic animals) to travel across the free borders in Europe – however for your pet to be allowed to cross the border in and out of the UK without quarantine you will also need to get a Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) certificate – most vets can advise on this.

Documents from home

Be sure to bring all of your important documents with you when you relocate, this should include: Passports, Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Driving Licenses, Health and Dental Records, Academic Records, and Legal Records (i.e. Wills and Insurance Policies).

Paperwork upon arrival in Ibiza

Once you arrive in Ibiza, there will inevitably be another pile of paperwork to sort out concerning where you are living and working… This kind of thing can be tricky in Spain – so much so, that even the locals themselves tend to use a ‘Gestoria’ – a Spanish lawyer-come-accountant – who can organise almost all administrative tasks. There are numerous English Speaking Gestors here in Ibiza.

Insurance in Ibiza

If you are going to be leaving your property for long periods of time, you must get home and contents insurance. Of course in Spain (like anywhere) you are also legally required to insure your car – and private health insurance is also available. Here at the Ibiza Property Guide, we list insurers who can help you with each if not all of these issues.

Driving and Owning Cars in Ibiza

If you are planning to drive your own car from an EU country to Ibiza, you will be able to keep it on the island with its original number plates for one year. If you don’t return the car to its country of origin at that point you will need to obtain new Spanish number plates. Different rules apply to cars from countries outside the EU, so you would be best advised to check the regulations applicable to your own country independently. You are also allowed to drive on your own country’s EU driving license for one year after arrival in Spain, however, after that, you will need to change it to a Spanish driving license. This requires a medical test and a visit to the local Trafico (Traffic Office) to arrange the required paperwork.

If you are buying a Spanish car here in Ibiza, be aware that the ITV (the Spanish version of an MOT) lasts for two years for newer cars and is required once a year for older cars. ITV tests are carried out at specific centers and you can normally arrange for your regular mechanic to take the car to pass the test on your behalf, at a price…


There are two main hospitals in Ibiza, Can Misses is the largest public hospital while Nuestra Señora Del Rosario is a private hospital (which also deals with public patients). There are also a few more specialist clinics and general health centres scattered around the island. If you are from the UK and hold an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) you are entitled to emergency care with this card. However, if you are a working resident you will be covered by state welfare by virtue of the taxes that you pay into the system. There is also a range of private health insurance options available.


If you receive a UK state pension you are still entitled to receive it in Ibiza, here’s a link with more information about how to claim it: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/how-to-claim

Education & Schooling

As well as the marvelous state school options in Ibiza, the island also has 3 private school options. The British option is Morna International College close to Santa Gertrudis in the centre of the island, which teaches the British National Curriculum and welcomes children from ages 3-18. This could be a great idea if you are moving to Ibiza from an English-speaking country with older children who don’t yet know much Spanish, as all of the teachings are conducted in English (apart from the various foreign language lessons!). The Colegio Mistral is a Spanish Private School located in Ibiza Town. Spanish and Catalan are principal languages of this highly-rated school, but the Colegio also promotes multilingualism and aims to achieve full command of Spanish and English. Finally, there is the Collège francais d’Ibiza, a specialised language school – which is the obvious choice for families who would like their child to obtain mastery of the French language and receive a French education in Ibiza.


To work in Ibiza legally, you are required to have an NIE number which allows you to pay taxes and, in turn, receive all the rights of a resident – such as health care. If you are employed by a local company you will receive a contract of employment. If you are self-employed you will need to register as an ‘Autonomo’. You would be best advised to speak to your Gestoria about how to set up as an Autonomo and have them deal with the authorities and endless paperwork, taxes, and charges on your behalf.

Starting a New Business

In Spain, if you choose to set up a business – you will need to have your NIE number organised beforehand and any relevant paperwork relating to your education – for example, certificates prepared, because depending upon what you plan to do, your qualifications may need to be recognised officially. This should be dealt with by your business advisor, who will also advise you on structuring the company, legal issues, and planning (you could also ask your Gestoria for direction with this).

Organising Utilities

Water and electricity are the most important utilities that need to be organised. Your lawyer should have ensured that there were no outstanding bills from the previous owner so that the accounts can be changed into your name and you can arrange to have them switched on. You will need to provide your ID and proof of ownership to amend the bills accordingly. If you are using water from the mains system – this will normally be dealt with by your Ayuntamiento (local Town Hall).

Internet service in Ibiza varies significantly depending upon where you live – currently, Movistar has begun installation of a fiber-optic network throughout the largest residential areas in Ibiza. Currently, these include Ibiza Town, Santa Eulalia, San Antonio, and Jesus – with the network gradually expanding out to the more rural areas. If you live out in the sticks, there are other alternatives like Satellite Internet and Wireless Internet (which utilises waves similar to 4G). You will find directory listings for these in our Ibiza Property Guide business listings section.

To Top